Monday, 29 November 2010

On hearing the broken jingle
Of that childhood ice-cream van
Memories of everything I could have done
But didn’t
Came swirling into my mind.

Through the open window
The sounds of that peak-hour traffic
So typical of our decaying world today
Invades my senses
Engulfs my soul
Which to the desk in the study is chained.
I am reminded that someday
I too shall join their ranks.

And so I let my dreams
Be that river of hope running through the desert
Forever subduing my pain.

And so I let my dreams
Be that mighty lighthouse of belief
Forever guiding my way.

Sreddy Yen

3 comments:

Shaista said...

Freddy the poem is lovely and evocative - since you ask me to take a look at it - I have slightly altered the placement of certain words. Do you find the rhythm more fluid now?

On hearing the broken jingle
Of that childhood ice-cream van
Memories of everything I could have been
Come swirling into my mind.

Through the open window
come sounds, of peak-hour traffic,
So typical of our decaying world;
Invading my senses
Engulfing my soul
Which to the desk in the study
lies chained.

I am reminded that someday
I too shall join their ranks.

And so for now I let my dreams
Be that river of hope,
running through the desert
forever subduing my pain.

And so I let my dreams
Be that lighthouse of belief,
forever,
for now,
guiding these tired, chained feet.

Shaista said...

Sreddy, Sreddy, Sreddy!!! I can't believe I wrote Freddy!! So sorry :) What is the origin of your name? Are your folks Malaysian?

jeannette said...

Sreddy,
wish for you that that river of hope leads you to happiness!...and a very merry Christmas to you!