Tuesday, 09 November 2010

What is this?

I found this bug sitting on the side of the wall the other day. Can anyone identify it? It looks really outlandish...



Update: Thank you Joan (a.k.a The Bug Lady) from Photographs from South Africa, for identifying this bug. This is a Rayed Slug, a moth belonging to the Limacodidae family. I did some research, but could only find some general information on the Limacodidae family. They are often called slug moths because their caterpillars bear a distinct resemblance to slugs. They are also called cup moths because of the shape of their cocoons. They are mostly tropical, but occur worldwide, with about 1000 described species and probably many more as yet undescribed species. These moths are also said to cause serious defoliation of palms.

4 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What a great find Sreddy. This is a Rayed Slug, a moth belonging to the Limacodidae family.

So you must be almost finished with exams and school. Are you going to stdy further or go out into this big world looking for employment?

Sreddy Yen said...

Oh interesting, it's called a slug but it's a moth?! It looks like an alien bull!

Nope, I'm still stuck with exams until the end of November. I'll be going to Tuks next year, doing a BA (Languages) degree. I have no clue what I'll do with it though ^^

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sreddy: I knew Joan would know it. What a neat mot.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

The names don't make sense sometimes.

That is an interesting choice Sreddy. I am not sure what you will do with it too but I am sure time will tell.

Good luck for the rest of the subjects. I know you will do well though.

Hey Tom: I was just lucky with this one. :)